Genealogy and History Research Sources
The Caroline Rose Foster North Jersey History & Genealogy Center has a large offering of databases available to help you with your research needs. Most are available only in the library but some are available from home as well. If the database is available from home just click on the title and you will be taken to our Research from Home Genealogy Database page.
Databases Accessible from Home and in the Library
Databases in the Library only
Ancestry Library Edition
Historical, census, court, land, probate and vital records; directories, finding aids, periodicals, photos, maps and family trees.
Morris County Directories, 1897-1909
Morristown City Directories, 1885-1982
Find My Past
British, Irish and Australian record sets; US census records
Family Search Affiliate Library
Provides access to domestic and international records that are not available through their free website.
US military records, including the stories, photos, and personal documents of the men and women who served.
Jewishdata.com is an extensive archive to help people study Jewish history and genealogy. Includes Jewish cemetery and immigration documents, and a number of information-rich books.
Newspapers.com World Edition
Provides access to Newspapers from across the U.S., 219 Canadian Newspapers, 112 English Newspapers, and 4 Australian Newspapers.
Historical Morris County Magazines and Newspapers in electronic format:
- Craftsman, Oct. 1901 – Dec. 1916
- Democratic Banner, May 5, 1881 – Feb. 8, 1917
- Dover Iron Era, Jan. 20, 1872 – Dec. 10, 1905
- Genius of Liberty, 1798 – 1814
- The Jerseyman (Morris Cty.), Nov. 8, 1849- Nov. 28, 1930
- Madison Eye Opener, April 1877-August 1882
- Morris County Chronicle, Dec. 1877 – Dec. 29, 1914
- Mt. Tabor Record, Aug. 16, 1877 – Aug. 30, 1887
- New Jersey Freeman (Boonton), 1844-1850
- New Jersey Journal (Chatham), 1779-1783
- Palladium of Liberty, Mar. 21, 1808 – May 28, 1834, w/gaps
- Patron of Industry, May 31 – Sept. 13, 1827
- Pequannock/Butler/Bloomingdale Argus, 1890-1951
(See all historical newspaper titles available in our reading room.)