The North Jersey History and Genealogy Center is a research collection of books, newspapers and magazines, photographs, ephemera, posters, maps, and archives & manuscript collections, that document New Jersey and Morris County life and history. We also have a large collection of published local histories and genealogies for the east coast.
Our phone: 973-538-3473
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Research materials at the NJHGC:
- Bible record transcripts
- Birth, marriage and death records sources
- City directories for New Jersey & New York City
- Civil War Resources
- Electronic databases and collections, including Ancestry, Heritage Quest, Findmypast, Fold3, and many more
- Directories, guidebooks and bibliographies
- Family charts and trees
- Family histories, genealogical records, and state, county, and local histories. (Published books and unpublished manuscripts)
- Family papers, personal scrapbooks, and local organizational records
- Genealogical indexes and resources
- Historic preservation materials
- How-to books on methods for genealogical research
- Journals, magazines and newsletters on New Jersey history, genealogy, book collecting and historic preservation
- Land record materials
- Landscape and architectural drawings
- Maps and surveys
- Microform collections include New Jersey state census schedules, historical newspapers, manuscript collections, naturalization petitions, and other research materials. (Please note that in some census reels, the entries are faint and hard to read. Legibility varies from page to page.)
- Miscellaneous manuscripts (including deeds, letters, and ephemera)
- Natural history materials
- Newspapers – digitized, microfilm, and on paper. Many include indexes.
- New Jersey railroads bibliography – Audiovisual, books, manuscripts, maps, microform, and periodicals.
- Online Collections, (photographic images, postcards, maps, art)
- Postcards inventory
- Vertical files on Morris County surnames, New Jersey towns and counties, events, organizations and institutions that include newspaper clippings, brochures, correspondence, and other printed ephemera.
- Indexes to wills and passenger and immigration lists
- Rare books, including material dating from the mid sixteenth century, with select fragments from the late fifteenth century.
- The Tomlinson Civil War Book Collection: a collection of approximately 1,000 volumes of Civil War research material donated by Norman B. Tomlinson, Jr., supplemented by additional items in the History Center.
- Works by and about New Jersey artists and writers:Thomas Nast, Bret Harte,
Homer Davenport, Dorothy Kunhardt,
John DePol, Michael Aaron Rockland,
Arthur Burdett Frost, Frank Stockton,
Annette Hanna, Nathaniel Parker Willis,
Lucille Hobbie, Lee Wyndham,
Frank Waller, Grant Wright